U.S. Green Building Counsel’s (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program is designed for building owners and operators. To receive certification through the LEED program, designers, builders and building owners incorporate energy-saving strategies throughout the complete cycle of a building, beginning with best construction practices continuing to building occupation and finishing with the end of the building’s useful life. Strategies include: choosing environmentally sensitive design, roofing, insulation, delivery methods and other assorted criteria, which earn points toward certification.
This chart presents some of the ways metal building products offered by Mid-West and its network companies can help you earn points toward LEED Certification. Visit the official Leed Website for additional information on green building products.
|LEED®-NC Metal Building Credit Guide|
|Name||Description||Number of Points||Reason|
|SS Credit 5.1||Site Development:
Protect or Restore Habitat
|1||Being shop fabricated, Steel Depot metal buildings allow field assembly using a minimal work area.|
|SS Credit 7.1||Heat Island Effect:
|Up to 2
(1 plus 1 Exemplary
|By deploying parking covers with Steel Depot roof products, 1 point is earned for 50% of spaces covered, and an exemplary performance point can be earned for 100% of spaces covered.|
|SS Credit 7.2||Heat Island Effect:
|1||Our Snow White, Ivory, Bone White, and Solar White colors meet the low-slope requirement and all NCI colors meet the steep slope requirement of this credit.|
|EA Credit 1||Optimize Energy Performance||Up to 10||
By utilizing Steel Depot cool roof colors and insulated metal panels in your energy models, you can reduce external loads and downsize HVAC equipment to help get the most points possible.
|MR Credit 4.1 and
MR Credit 4.2
10% and 20%
|Up to 2||Depending on the nature of the project, Steel Depot metal buildings will contain between 25% and 60% recycled steel by weight. (Post-consumer + ½ Pre-consumer) On a typical project, this will represent about 40% of our contract value.|
|MR Credit 5.1
(under LEED-NC 2.0 and 2.1 only)
20% Manufactured Regionally
Steel Depot has access to 39 manufacturing facilities across the United States and Mexico. This network maximizes the amount of material manufactured within a 500 mile radius of most points in the US.
|EQ Credit 8.1||Daylight and Views:
Daylight 75% of spaces
|1||Steel Depot’s insulated light transmitting panels are excellent diffusers when utilized on the roof or walls.|
- This table assumes LEED-NC v2.2 unless otherwise noted.
- LEED requirements are based on all materials constructed under the project contract, of which the metal building is only a portion. Actual requirements may not be achieved once all materials are considered. Credit values shown on this table reflect those available, not necessarily those that are earned for a given project.
- The use of cool roof colors may actually not be allowed in the energy code used for your project. In colder climates, darker roof colors may result in optimal energy performance. Consult your design professional for local requirements.
- The claiming of Exemplary Performance points may be limited.
- Using the US Steel Recycling Institute industry averages for October, 2007.